Snort mailing list archives

Re: L3retriver alerts

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:04:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Augustinho Catto wrote:

We have an A.D. Server running inside our enclave network (for
corporate servers) and, of course our workstations, inside of our
internal network send packets to this server and this event is
logged as "bad event" "IDS311/PING-SCANNER-L3RETRIEVER" .
But this "ping" is necessary to our workstation, so to avoid this alert
I created W2K_SERVER [10.20.200.73/32, 10.20.200.74/32] inside
of our snort.conf.

After that I modified icmp.rules file:
"alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET -> $W2K_SERVER .... ".

In spite of this fact the snort is still given us this alert.

How could I avoid its?

pass icmp $EXTERNAL_NET -> $W2K_SERVER

Then start snort with '-o'.

Cheers!