Snort mailing list archives

Errors that don't cause problems / Problems without error message

From: kai.hanisch () philips com
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:10:20 +0200

Hi there,

I have snort 1.8.6 running on debian woody with 2.4.19pre9, and snort is
behaving strange. In syslog it says:

FATAL ERROR: ERROR: Unable to open rules file:$PATH/snort.conf or
$PATH//$PATH/snort.conf

which cannot be true as snort runs and logging works fine. The error
occurs every morning when cron.daily is running.

This is just a matter of interest, but what really disturbs me is that
portscans are not being logged. Though /var/log/snort/portscan.log is
created, nothing is logged there (Configuration in snort.conf says:
"preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log"). I have 644
permissions on alert and portscan.log, owner ist root:snort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kai