Snort mailing list archives

Re: Recovering Lost Alerts

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:23:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Ron Shuck wrote:

[...snip...]

My concern is how do I recover lost or missed alerts if the MySQL
database goes down briefly or if the sensor losses communication with
the MySQL server?

Use barnyard.  :)  Snort writes a unifed file, and then BY comes along and
reads the file on the fly handing the data to the DB on the backend.

I have added a 'heartbeat' mechanism in ACID to alert if any of the
sensors go down for any reason, but this only lets me know I missed
alerts. It looks like some of the information is in the syslog, but not
all.

Cool feature.  Might want to send it to Roman for review.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Suggestion?  Sure!  "Try the hotpockets, they're breathtaking."  ;-)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net