Snort mailing list archives

Re: Replying conventions

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:02:44 -0400

Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com> writes:

This morning I got some all-caps flame mail in reply to one of my list
postings. The posting in question was one in which I replied to: the
author, and the list. The Canadian complainer wasn't on the to: or cc:
of the email complained about, so I can only presume he was
complaining because the To: line didn't start with
snort-users () sourceforge net.

That's very out of line.  If people want replies to go to the list,
they can set the Reply-To: header.  For people filtering mail, they
can use the X-BeenThere: snort-users () lists sourceforge net to do so
by.

As far as I can tell, replying to the author, and to: the list, or
replying to: the author and cc: the list is pretty common in snort
users. Anyone have any explanation as to why someone might object that
I replied to the author as well as the list, when they were not the
author?

Yes, I do that because so often people aren't subscribed to the list
and I'm not going to think twice about my methodolgy for snort-users.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.