Snort mailing list archives

Re: UTF-8 and Unicode packet content under snort 1.8.7

From: "J. Craig Woods" <drjung () trismegistus net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:57:55 -0500

John Sage wrote:

Hello world..

I'm currently involved in a discussion on another list where the
poster is stating that a Linux-based snort host, not updated to
properly handle UTF-8/Unicode encodings, will not correctly represent
binary-logged packet content that contains UTF-8/Unicode characters.

It looks like he is leaving himself a door open. By saying "not updated
to properly handle UTF-8/Unicode encodings", he is essentially right. I
am not sure what he means though. If you are on a Linux box with the
correct LOCALE implemented (POSIX) implemented, this will not be a
issue. Most modern Linux distros should be fine in this regard. At
least, this is how I would view the topic.

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration