Snort mailing list archives

RE: cant get Apache to launch

From: "Robert Schwartz" <robert () mrsquirrel com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 11:34:32 -0700

Hopefully this won't be the blind leading the blind (I'm no uber apache
expert myself) but I've been down this path at least once.

[crit] (98Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind
to port 443

Either you have a process using this port already:

netstat -an |grep 443
netstat -an |grep LISTEN

something like that to see if you have something listening.

 - or -

You need to do the following:

apachectl stop

here are some configs from  /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

Listen 192.168.1.5:443

Comment this line back out, this isn't for SSL, it's for http (apachectl
startssl will ignore this anyway).

Under Dynamic Shared  Object (DSO)  Support section:
<IfDefine SSL>
      Listen 443
</IfDefine SSL>

Comment this section out, I have no idea where this came from.  If this
was in the doc you were reading then it's still worth commenting out for
troubleshooting and re-read what was going on here.

Port 443

Under SSL support
<IfDefine SSL>
      Listen 443
</IfDefine SSL>

Change this to:
Listen 192.168.1.5:443

if you have multiple IP's interfaces.  If you only have one, then you
can leave it as "443" or make it "192.168.1.5:443" it won't make much of
a difference.

ServerName 192.168.1.5

This only changes the name in the host HTTP headers, so it's not super
important (if you want to hide the machine's host name