Snort mailing list archives

RE: Log vs. Alert --end the confusion!

From: "Williams Jon" <WilliamsJon () JohnDeere com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:17:27 -0500

While we're talking about how preprocessors log packets, could someone help
me out with the stream4 preprocessor?  There are a number of seemingly
useful alerts that come out of it, such as the TTL evasion alerts, but when
I go to the log, it looks as if snort only logs the last packet or the one
that actually triggered the alert.  As a result, it is very difficult to go
back through and describe to the "attacker" or their ISP what the activity
was.  Obviously, the stream4 preprocessor had to have had all of the packets
go through it and remember that the TTL was 5 on packet A, 8 on B, and so
on.  Is it possible to get it to write out all the packets in the offending
stream?  This goes for all the alerts that come out of this preprocessor,
and not just the TTL one.

Thanks.

Jon