Snort mailing list archives

correlating alerts with action required

From: Mike Sapsara <msapsara () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:32:43 -0700 (PDT)

So I've got my snort sensor running, watching traffic
from the ISP.  A firewall limits ports and access to a
web server.  I log many 'accesses' or 'attempts' (from
the rule definitions) for all the various IIS
vulnerabilities.  I was curious about a rule in the
web-iis.rules file that was alerting me when someone
tried to access cmd.exe.  I went to the log on the IIS
server and found the event, and it returned a 404.
Fine, good answer.  I know that system is patched and
up to date.

My fairly basic question is, how can you tell if (and
how) a host responded to one of these probes and is a
canidate for compromise ?

I am running 1.8.6, nothing fancy, just logging via
syslog.

Mike