Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snot based attacks and the -z est option.

From: "larosa, vjay" <larosa_vjay () emc com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:52:12 -0400

I see the same events when running -z est and when not running the -z est. I
am running
snort 1.8.6 build 105. Maybe I am confused with the way that the -z option
works. This is the
situation,

HostA sends thousands of faked snot events with bogus SRC IP's ----> Host B
is the DEST for these events.

Snort is monitoring all of this traffic.

When I run without the -z I would expect to see thousands of TCP faked
events.

When I use the -z est I would expect to not see any faked TCP events.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Becuase in either case I am seeing the same amount of events,
not the number of events I would expect to see though. I only pick
up ~ 100-200 attacks which are mostly ICMP, UDP,
and a few TCP when either using -z est, or not using the -z est.

I am beginning to think that it is me doing something wrong.
I am just not sure what though.

vjl