Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and network taps

From: Jeff Nathan <jeff () snort org>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:54:36 -0700

counter.spy () gmx de wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

I have decided to use network taps in order to monitor switchports.
Those taps have the advantage of being read-only and making switch
port mirroring unessessary. Also full duplex monitoring is guaranteed this
way.
When using such network taps, you need two sniffing interfaces, one for
each tap port, i.e. one for each direction of communication.

[...]

But now comes the real question:

Wouldn't I lose the stateful inspection capability of snort when
using the third method?
Each snort process only sees one direction of each connection,
so it cannot know if a connection has been properly established or
not.
It seems to me that this is a problem that most NIDS should encounter
when running on tap ports, right?

What would you recommend me to do, in order not to loose stateful
analysis capabilities?

I have not attempted to use channel bonding and have no idea if the
virtual interface appropriately abstracts the interface.

The expensive but pretty much guaranteed method for using copper taps is
to connect each tap port to a switch and span the two tap ports to a
third port.

The third spanned port can be connected directly to the IDS sensor or
anything else you might want to connect it to.

Understand that if the tap is tapping 100Mb full duplex, the span port
can become oversaturated.

Thanks for any pointers, hints and suggestions.

Greetings,
D. Liesen

--
http://www.gmx.net

-Jeff

--
http://jeff.wwti.com            (pgp key available)
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."