Snort mailing list archives

RE: writing to log file and running a script at onc e???

From: Omolayo Salako <OSalako () corp goamerica net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:26:32 -0400

i am not so sure you really wanna do that , if you dont want people to go to
yahoo, simply block yahoo's address at your firewall or edge router, but
having something telneting to your router and  updating access list on the
fly does not seem like a good idea to me. just imagine things that can go
wrong. am not saying this is not totally possible. if you really bent on
doing this and your are in a cisco environment. i would say look into cisco
works, you can hack it to allow your script to update access list on cisco
works and have cisco works update the router, that i think its a safer
route. that by itself it's even complex, especially if you have mutiple
exits into the internet, you have to build intelligence your script to know
which router to ask cisco works to update. i think just blocking addresses
its a safer option, remember the kiss principle. the final call its yours
anyways.