Snort mailing list archives

acceptable packet drop rate for snort

From: lpj0508 () netscape net
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:53:45 -0400

hi,

has anyone tried to measure how much traffic snort can handle b4 packet drops becomes a serious problem?

i noticed in my case abt 1-2% of dropped packets for 10Mbps of traffic and 7% of dropped packets for 20Mbps.

is this to be expected or has someone achieved better performance? please feedback as i would like to see the
performance improve.

fyi, i'm using a dual P3-733 server with 512MB RAM and intel 10/100 nic. snort version is 1.8.5 and mysql ver is
mysql-max-4.0.1-alpha. OS is redhat-7.1 with kernel 2.4.3-12smp (just upgraded to 2.4.9-31smp)

apologies if this has been posted b4, but i can't find an efficient way to search through the archive. 8)

please reply to my email address as i'm not in this mailing list.

many thanks,
lpj