Snort mailing list archives

RE: shell code detect

From: Steve Halligan <giermo () geeksquad com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:52:54 -0500

*hits playback on taperecorder*
Shellcode rules often false alert when encountering binary files in transit.
These rules are written to look for a bunch of NOPS (No Operations) in a
row, and alot of binaries fit this description.

In this particular case, I am going to go out on a limb and say that a
binary attachment to an email triggered this alert.

The rule is written about as good as it can be.

Dragos' spp_fnord preprocessor may false less often.

-steve

i am getting this alert on some of my smtp gateways. i know is a buffer
overflow attack because of the shellcode signature. i have had
my mail admin
check the servers out for signs of buffer overflow attacks, he
reported back
no problem. this might be a false positive (i am still
investigating). my
question to the list is that, if this is a false positive, how
do u tweak it
without having to disable the rule altogether. one idea that i
have been
toying with is to set flags on most content rules so that the
connection
would have to be actually established by snort starts squeaking. if the
traffic is getting blocked by the firewall, i dont want snort
alerting me on
such traffic. what do you guys think?, attached is the
decoded payload of
the shell code attack.