Snort mailing list archives

Re: can't start snort

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, c cheng wrote:

I compiled snort successfully, but when I ran snort (/usr/local/bin/snort),
the following message appeared;

error:unable to open rules file = /root/.snortrc

Does anyone have any idea how to fix it? Thanks!!

Yup.

Give it a .conf file.  Snort wants a config file of some type according to how
you start it.  It looks for a <homedir>/.snortrc or a ./snort.conf or
/etc/snort/snort.conf by default if you don't specify one.

Try something like '/usr/local/bin/snort -c <path_to_config_file>/snort.conf'
and see what happens.

Oh, and you'll need to make sure you edit the .conf file to reflect your
network....

Good luck!

-----
Erek Adams