Snort mailing list archives

Re: Need help with a rule

From: Andreas Östling <andreaso () it su se>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:28:24 +0200

On Wednesday 10 April 2002 00.33,  Sheahan, Paul wrote:
In some cases I do know the set of characters that might follow "twenty".
Let's say I want an alert for "twenty" but not "twentyone" and that is it.
Do you think that might be possible to create a rule for?

Yes, in that case you could use something like:

alert ip any any -> any any (msg: "twenty, not twentyone"; \
content: "twenty"; content: !"twentyone";)

Although sometimes its worth remembering that if a packet then contains both
the word "twenty" alone, and also "twentyone" in another sentence for
example, you will not get an alert when using rules like the one above.
In cases where this isn't acceptable and you can't fix it with by using
depth/offset checks etc, its probably better to use what Ryan suggested
instead.

/Andreas