Snort mailing list archives

Snort on HP-UX

From: "Taylor Lewick" <Taylor.Lewick () us fortis com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:21:42 -0500

Hi all, I recently downloaded and configured snort-1.8.4-beta2 to run on my HP-UX server. The configure went fine, and
it worked when I passed it simple command line arguments for
viewing packets. But when I tried to run it in daemon mode, or pass it the config file, it core-dumped. After searching
the archives I saw others were having the same problem, and it looked
like a problem with HP code, or libpcap... I never saw a resolution..
I am wondering, first, has anyone tried running a new version of snort 1.8.6 on HP-UX in IDS mode, and does it work,
or, did anyone
figure out what was wrong with the 1.8.4-beta2 version on HP-UX?

When I ran gdb snort core I recieved the following error...
Core was generated by `snort'.
Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.

warning: The shared libraries were not privately mapped; setting a
breakpoint in a shared library will not work until you rerun the program.

#0 InitStream4Pkt () at spp_stream4.c:2916
2916 stream_pkt->iph->ip_ver = 0x4;

And the core file seems to point to memory problems and possible problems with IPv4 and IPv6...

Thanks for any help you can provide, as I am new to snort but anxious to learn about it.
Taylor

Taylor Lewick
Unix System Administrator
Fortis Benefits
816 881 6073

"Help Wanted.  Seeking Telepath..."
"You Know where to apply."

                        Please Note
The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged
and confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message,
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this
E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error,
please notify the sender. Thank you