Snort mailing list archives

RE: Flexresp

From: Alwin Raymundo <alrayworld () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 05:11:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul,

In my case I installed snort in one of our four linux
box which is exposed to the internet.

Every activity within is log in our intranet(linux)
with mysql,apache and php.  Doing so it will not
burden the sensor and the report is for internal use
only.

The bottom line I did not experience what you
experience regarding the refreshing of a webrowser.

Thanks for you suggestion.  I appreciated it.

Thanks again

--- "Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW)"
<Paul.Sheahan () priceline com> wrote:

What I did to test flexresp: I opened a web site in
my browser from my
desktop and made sure the site came up properly.
Then I created a test rule
using "resp: rst_all" to block access to the IP
address to that site. Then I
started Snort to use that rule and went back to my
browser and hit refresh.
You'll know the rule is working when your browser
appears to hang (the site
never refreshes and the progress bar at the bottom
of the browser crawls
very slowly....the site never comes up no matter how
long you wait). If you
stop Snort and hit refresh again, the site will
refresh properly.

Paul Sheahan
Manager of Information Security
Priceline.com