Snort mailing list archives

snort 99%cpu..not hanging

From: Jonathan <rakocy () cs wisc edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:05:37 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

After long hours of configuring BSD and psql, everything seems to be going
good.  Wrong, I check top and this is what I see.
PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE WAIT     TIME    CPU COMMAND
7433 root     64   0  1608K 2516K  run  -        8:23    99.56% snort

Ouch! I can't figure it out.  Snort is logging fine as far as I can
tell. Tailing the alert file produces expected output.  The db dumps lots
of rows.  Then I looked at other options for output and saw that the
kernel was dropping about 70% of packets.

var HOME_NET is set to any.  I've seen some discussion about
explicitly specifying these.  I tried doing this like so
xyz.abc.0.0/16.  No change.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Kind regards,

~Jonathan