Snort mailing list archives

Re: not detecting common intrusion

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:51:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Cearns Angela wrote:

[...snip...]

However, I've a new problem. Please note I'm running
snort with all default rules.
- I tried the "ping -l 1600 hostname" command to send
out abnormally large icmp packets
- snort, mysql, ACID, everything seemed to work and
logged and displayed the abnomality, indicating "large
ICMP packets".

- Then I tried simple ping flood (ping -f)and sync
flood (synflood), yet snort doesn't detect anything?

Because there isn't a rule or a preprocessor to detect syn floods or ping
floods.

You can't use a rule, since there's not a "X packets over Y time" logic built
into the rule parser.  You'd have to have some sort of preprocessor similar to
the portscan preprocessor to do that.

Cheers.

-----
Erek Adams