Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort getting overloaded by http traffic:

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:55:10 +1200

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 01:35:10PM -0400, McCammon, Keith wrote:
The amount of traffic that Snort is able to inspect has less to do with
Snort and almost everything to do with the underlying operating system, IP
stack, and (most importantly) available resources.  If the operating system
is short of resources (specifically RAM), then packets are going to be
dropped by the kernel due to lack of buffer space and general congestion.
As such, they will never be presented to Snort for inspection.

[mutter, mutter Microsoft - how about some word wrapping!!!]

Anyway, this comment about RAM - is that actually true? I mean, there's a
few areas where snort needs to swallow *some* RAM - to track state, etc -
but other than that it's not a big requirement....

The reason I ask is that I'm running snort under daemontools as a supervised
script, and one thing I've done is to tell it it can't grow above 20M as
that indicates a memory leak. So far snort appears to hang around 10M - so I
feel happy with that.

Does snort ever need to grow to > 20Meg???

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417