Snort mailing list archives

ASCII logging

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:27:43 -0700

Hi all,

I've been successfully using snort for several months. But, I have yet to really understand the command-line and configuration-file options related to logging. In particular, I want snort to generate alerts and perform binary logging to a specified file and directory. But, it persists on generating unwanted ASCII logs, which waste disc space and CPU cycles.

My snort invocation is:

daemon /usr/local/bin/snort \
 -D \
 -b \
 -N \
 -c $CDIR \
 -i $INTERFACE \
 -l $DIRBASE/$WEEK/$DATE \
 -L $FILE \
 -u $USER

And, the relevant contents of snort's configuration file are:

output alert_syslog: LOG_LOCAL1 LOG_INFO
output alert_full: /space1/snort/snort-full
output alert_fast: /space1/snort/snort-fast

log tcp any any <> $HOME_NET any (msg: "Unmatched TCP";session: printable;)
log udp any !8116 <> $HOME_NET any (msg: "Unmatched UDP";session: printable;) log icmp any any <> $HOME_NET any (msg: "Unmatched ICMP";session: printable;)

I thought that the -b flag would dispense with ASCII logging. What am I missing?

I realize that having both full and fast alerts is not ideal. But, for several reasons I find it convenient; so, I prefer to continue generating the redundant alerts along with the system log entries. It's only the ASCII logs I want to ditch.

This is snort 1.8.6 (Build 105), under Red Hat Linux 7.2, installed via tarball rather than RPM.

Thanks!