Snort mailing list archives

RE: *NIX ping alerts

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:30:39 -0400

Jason,

Just examine the rule(s) that are triggering alerts and write a simple pass rule for the source and destination.  See
the docs for guidelines on writing rules <http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_chAp2>.

And if you're watching the wire between your firewall and your router, and the firewall performs NAT, then the source
should be on the same network as your router's Ethernet interface.  Again, look at the alerts and you'll see the source
address that's setting things off.  Not sure how a NAT'd packet from a single monitoring node could have one of 256
addresses.  Sounds fishy...

Cheers

Keith