Snort mailing list archives

Re: TCP ******S* portscan

From: Hauser Marcel <marcel_hauser () gmx ch>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:33:03 -0800

On 06.04.2002 at 00:05:31, Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com> wrote:

Is the IP tables firewall running on a machine which is up-stream of snort
(not on the same box or somewhere downstream)?
no, snort is running on the internal interface at the firewall

So, unless your snort is running downstream of the iptables firewall, don't
worry, this is normal for snort to see. If snort is downstream, i.e. you
have a computer with 2 ethernet interfaces using iptables prior to routing
between them and snort is on the "inside" of that router, well, your
iptables aren't doing what you expect.
Are you joking ? <i'am scared now>
Well... My Firewall has Iptables on it and is doing nat. And yes, snort is
running on the internal interface of the firewall.

Ok... i know this is not snort related, but what "miss configuration?" at the
iptables side, could cause such a behavior ? Some Connection Tracking Modules
maybe ? how can i track this down ?

Thanks for any hints on this !!

In either event, it does mean that 195.186.255.2 did a sequential tcp
portscan on your webserver.
I ran several portscans (sequential) by myself, and the firewall always
successfully blocked them !? hmmmm...

Thanks for your help Matt !

Cheers Marcel