Snort mailing list archives

what's the best setup?

From: c white <cwhite () theatomicmoose ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:42:45 -0400

What is the best setup for this network?

I work for a large educational institution, all of our servers are on a switch, and I am not permitted, by policy, to place a sniffer between the switch and our router, all of the servers are on the same subnet, a mix of Unix, LINUX, winNT and win2k.

I was thinking about installing a "master" snort box, which would sniff on its own port and use mysql to store the data, and acid to present it through a web interface, and then install snort "sensors" on the other servers and report the data to the "master" server, the only problem with this is that some of the win servers are smp and winpcap doesn't like smp, is there another way to sniff out these servers without installing a "sensor" locally (did i miss something in the manual) or am I just S-O-L.

Suggestions, comments and ideas will be greatly appreciated?