Snort mailing list archives

Re: My Webservers Are Showing Up In My Alerts

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:34:34 -0400

Well, that's not surprising.. A lot of the alerts you see are likely to things like codered, IIS cmd.exe and other such things, directory traversals, etc.

These usually represent actual attack attempt on your webserver. It is usually being done by a virus or an automated tool. It's not uncommon for a webserver to see dozens of these a day. The net is a brutal place, and it's not uncommon to see a network block have exploit attempts hundreds of times per day. Particularly if snort is watching unfiltered traffic in front of your firewall.

My best recommendation is that if the alerts bother you, and you KNOW that your webserver cannot possibly be vulnerable, comment out the rule in the .rules file. (for example, if all your webservers are BSD or Linux Apache webservers it's pretty safe to comment out the cmd.exe rule).

It is important to note however that they aren't false alerts, they are usually genuine attempts to penetrate your webserver to run malicious code. Snort takes the stand of having alerts for attempts, even if they were not successful, because most events that do result in a real compromise are "noisy" in that they have a lot of failed attempts preceding the one that succeeded.