Snort mailing list archives

RE: Syslog on W2K

From: "Don" <Don () WeberOnTheWeb com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:49:33 -0700

I add the remote logging option to the command line, ie.. snort -s
xx.xx.xx.xx:514, altho this over-rules your snort.conf, so i dont think it
would also go to the mysql if you do that, I asked this question a little
while ago as well,
here's what someone told me, i havent tried it yet, but i assume you could
set a variable in the snort.conf being LOG_PID xx.xx.xx.xx (address of
remote syslog), then use the entry noted below, its not really clear to me
how this could be done, I think these commands/lines are unix based, and may
be way off for win32 port of snort.

Don

''excerpt from message from "BShinn"
Here is an excerpt from syslog.conf, you could change the "/var/log/ids" to

"@ip.of.remote.host"

local3.*

/var/log/snortlog

*.info;local2.none;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none

/var/log/messages

..

Here is the line from snort.conf

output alert_syslog: LOG_LOCAL3 LOG_ALERT LOG_PID