Snort mailing list archives

Re: Current Rule Set

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:17:09 -0400

I'd wager that you downloaded new rules, but used your old snort.conf with the new .rules files, and it's complaining about SHELLCODE_PORTS.

The new rules tarball should have a snort.conf in it, with some new variables in it needed for the shellcode rules. Copy the "var SHELLCODE_PORTS" line from that conf file into your existing snort.conf and you should be ok.

Remember, the snort.conf is included in the rules tarball for a good reason and should not be overlooked :) (it isn't there as a decoration).

FAQ maintainer: suggestion, add the "I just downloaded a new ruleset and snort complains that XXXX is undefined" to the FAQ. Something along the lines of this:

Q: I just downloaded a new ruleset and now snort fails complaining about the rules.

A:
First, make sure you downloaded the right ruleset for your version of snort. Snort.org generally hosts a ruleset for the released version of snort, as well as rules for the development branch and sometimes copies for older versions of snort. This is generaly the case for "unknown keyword in rule" type errors. If you have the rules that are correct for your version of snort be aware that the snort rules tarball contains a snort.conf file. From time to time the snort.conf included with the rules gets changed as new .rules files are added, and new variables are added to support a better ruleset. When downloading new rulesets you should always give the included snort.conf a quick look-over to see if new includes or vars have been added, or at least be aware you should consult it if things do not work as expected. This is generally the case if you get messages indicating that something is undefined in a rule.