Snort mailing list archives

Re: Same question again..

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 11:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, C Boss wrote:

Guys, help me out here please. This is the second time I have put out this
question. Is the question plain stupid or do you need more information.
Please let me know.

"I want to log in a binary format and thus am using the -b option. I am also
logging all alerts to syslog. So I have something like LOG_LOCAL7 LOG_ALERTS
in the snort.conf file.

The problem is that if I use the -b oprion with Snort, I don't see any
alerts in the syslog.

Do the two don't work together ?"

Actually, you can answer your own question.

Ever see the phrase "Command line options override....."?  Snort is telling
you that if you put something in the .conf file it's overriden by using a
command line option.

Use John Sages' suggestions and move it all into the .conf file.  It'll work.
:)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams