Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snot attacks and -z est option - regarding FAQ 1.9

From: counter.spy () gmx de
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:21:07 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Chris,

Another question:
I have performed some testing with snot-0.92a attacks against snort
during
the last few weeks.

The FAQ claims that snort is not vulnerable to such attacks, but I have
found some problems with snort during these tests. Some of them are fixed
with
the 1.8.4 release but some are not.

What other problems besides your next one?

Those Short Header Problems that caused 1.8.4-beta4 to crash and which you
have already fixed, remember?  ;)

One of the problems that I think I also have read about on this list is
the
following:
Snot uses random IP Numbers. Running Snot against a snorted machine over
longer period of time (I ran it overnight) without delays caused the
system to
reach it's limits for creating new files. This in return caused snort to
terminate.

what logging mode?

mySQL and default logging to /var/log/snort/

Sounds like default which is so often misconfigured

Yep, we already discussed that. :)

I'm wholely tempted to axe it out of snort forever.

Good idea. I don't like the fashion of snort's default logging anyway, for
exactly this reason.
Well, I remember you telling me that in one of your replies to my mail where
I addressed this problem. But I hadn't "-z established" enabled at this
time.

 Of course in a productive environment you will have reacted long
before this happens, because such attacks are very noisy and
unlikely to happen.  But it could be used in order to hide the real
attack within all the noise that snot generates, so some correlation
is needed in order to eliminate those "false positives".
Another issue is that I tried to reduce the alerts that were caused by
snot
by using the
-z est option. That idea was based on my assumption that snot causes many
fake connections, i.e. no real connections are established. This did not
help,
I still got most of the alerts.

Was stream4 enabled? What was your snort output?  Were the alerts ICMP
and UDP?  Those don't have sessions that could be established.

I was using part of sandro's settings from "Snort-Setup for Statistics
HOWTO":
preprocessor frag2
preprocessor stream4: detect_scans detect_state_problems
preprocessor stream4_reassemble: ports all
preprocessor unidecode: 80 8080 3128
preprocessor rpc_decode: 111
preprocessor bo: -nobrute
preprocessor telnet_decode
preprocessor portscan: 0.0.0.0/0 6 3 /var/log/snort/portscan.log
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS_SERVERS

-z est makes it "harder" because they actually have to get an
established stream.

As you possibly know, I am testing several IDSs just as part of my thesis
and thus focus on very basic testing. My aim is to develop a concept on which
technologies to use and how to deploy IDS within our corporate network. My
time is very limited (3 months).
I must admit, that I already have finished tests with snort and that the "-z
established" was just a quick last check in order to see if it reduces
alerts that were generated by snot.
For this reason I ran snot with 100 packets for each test, using only 10
rules that were mixed TCP and UDP - 3 tests with and 3 without the "-z
established" option.
I didn't check each alert in detail, just the number of alerts, and I found
this didn't vary much.

Of course the attacked system still had the possibility of resolving
the correct source IP through ARP, because attacker and target are
in the same network and so the target still gets the original MAC
address and is able to reply to the snotmachine.

arp who-was? :-)  Generating alerts isn't restricted to that and you
could do DDOS zombies with bind.version queries and generate just as
many alerts and they would be valid.
--

So do agree with me that snot can be used for kind of DOSing snort, or at
least the poor analyst who has to check all those alerts?

Chris Green <cmg () snort org>
"I'm beginning to think that my router may be confused."

Thanks for your input. Sorry that I didn't have the time to go into more
detailed analysis.
Maybe I will do a proper test on this later, if I still have the time in the
end.

Greetings,
D. Liesen

--