Snort mailing list archives

Re: Hardware Questions

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 08:05:08 -0600

1) When using a switch to aggregate traffic from a copper tap to a monitored port for snort to
sniff off. I am looking for the LEAST expense
switch of other device to do this job, can anyone make suggestions as to any inexpensive
switches that will perform this function? What is
everyone using that works?

Just about any "managable" switch has port mirroring capability. I happen
to like the Cisco 2924 (etc) series, however there are many others.

2) Second, I did some google searches the other day and was unsuccessful in location the most
basic of devices, I guess no one makes them
anymore. Does anyone know of a company that still makes a PASSIVE (non powered) ethernet
(RJ45) hub (say 3-4 ports)? This used to be a
common device 10-15 years  but seems impossible to find now.

We carry around the NetGear DS104 10/100 hub. Its inexpensive but sometimes
rather hard to find. Think I seen them at CompUSA lately. The only issue to
watch out for is the box functions as a switch in some cases (certain ports
running at 10meg when another port is running at 100meg). Price was something
like $35.

Don't know of anyone that makes a functional "non-powered" hub. In theory
it's not possible without impacting the electrical characteristics of the
attached NIC adapters.