Snort mailing list archives

RE: Win32 Port of Snort

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () silicondefense com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 18:39:28 -0700

Michael,

I am currently looking at the code and getting ready to incorporate it
into the 1.87bxxx version of Snort. Hopefully I'll have a release
version ready very soon. If can leave me an email if you are interested
in trying it out before I release it.

As far as the INSTSRV file from Microsoft; it has been working
flawlessly here. I know some users are having problems and that may be
related to other factors that our machine has not been made visible too.
Our Windows box is ONLY a sensor and we run nothing else. It has also
been extensively hardened, which may be another reason why it has
virtually no problems in our test environment. I am looking forward to
getting a built-in way to run Snort as a service.

mode.

Do a Snort -W and get the number and ID of the interface that you want
to run with no IP.

Start the registry editor (Regedit)

Move to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\In
terfaces

Select the required interface using the ID that you got using the -W
switch

Note: there are to keys for each interface, be sure to place the
IPAutoconfigurationEnabled into the proper registry setting. It will
have an actual IP address in one of the settings.

From the Edit menu select New - DWORD value

Enter the name IPAutoconfigurationEnabled and press Enter

Double click the new value and set to 0. Click OK

Set EnableDHCP to 0 click ok

Close the registry editor

May need to reboot? If you do an IPCONFIG it should show an IP Address
of 0.0.0.0

If you do a Snort -v -ix (x is the number of the interface that you set
for promiscuous mode) you should see all kinds of traffic on that
interface.

Let us know how it works. Also try to uncheck the TCP/IP setting for
that card and see if that works. I'm not at my machine to check it out.
That would be easier but if I remember right, I had a problem doing it
that way.

Michael Steele | Support Technician
mailto:michaels () silicondefense com