Snort mailing list archives

Excluding $HOME_NET -> $HOME_NET Alerts

From: Ed Kasky <ed () esson net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 19:00:21 -0700

Is there a way to disable certain alerts from any home_net host to another home_net host? I back up my web server over the wire to a tape machine and get flooded with "Shellcode X86 Noop" alerts whenever I run it. I also get a lot of "WEB-MISC long basic authorization string" alerts using acid to view alerts in a mysql database.

I was under the impression that "alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET" took care of this.

From my snort.conf:
var HOME_NET 10.0.0.0/24

I use 10.0.0.1 through 25 on the home_net.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

Ed
~~
Ed Kasky
Los Angeles, CA
A professional is a person who can do his best at a time when
he doesn't particularly feel like it.
        ~~ Alistair Cooke