Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort in a switched environment

From: "Bruno Taranto" <bruno () hiss com br>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:50:28 -0300

corporate site: http://www.hiss.com.br
security portal: http://www.hacker.com.br
___________________________________

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Yackley" <Matt.Yackley () perkinswill com>
To: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 12:41 PM
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort in a switched environment

The trouble with a switch is that it stores MAC address in a table for
each
port and will only send data to the specific port that is the destination,
the execptions are broadcast traffic and perhaps when a new device is
placed
on the network.  A way around the problem is if the switch handles port
mirroring, you can mirror traffic from selected ports to a port that you
specfiy as the monitoring port.  Check the user manual that came with the
switch to see if it supports port mirroring.

Matt