Snort mailing list archives

Re: No more -z all?

From: Rob Hughes <rob () robhughes com>
Date: 11 May 2002 20:01:28 -0500

On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 15:18, Alberto Dainotti wrote:
On 11 May 2002, Rob Hughes wrote:

Just built Version 1.8.7beta2 (Build 114) on a FreeBSD box from CVS this
morning. Now, when I run

/usr/local/bin/snort -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf -dDeX -L
snort.log -i dc0 -z all

I get

May 11 11:58:44 ns2 snort: ERROR: OpenPcap() FSM compilation failed:
syntax error
May 11 11:58:44 ns2 snort: FATAL ERROR: PCAP command: all

Suggestions? This was working just before I rebuilt, and nothing else
was changed.

Yes, -z option doesn't take any arguments. It used to, but doesn't
anymore, read man page or do "./snort -\?" (FAQ should be
changed accordingly).
Anyway old "-z all" option is equivalent to not using "-z" option at all..
While old "-z est" is the equivalent of "-z".
Greets,
                                              Alberto.

Alberto,

Thanks. Someone might want to update the snort.conf that's distributed
from cvs, as in it, it still states that you use -z est or -z all.
Guess  I missed the bit about the change somewhere though.

Regards,
Rob