Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help with tcpdump log rotation

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 07:17:26 -0700

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 03:54:43PM -0500, Rob Hughes wrote:
On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 13:56, Erek Adams wrote:
On 9 May 2002, Rob Hughes wrote:

<snippage>

We'll see how it works now. I still don't see the value of stamping the
date/time in the file name though. It's much easier for me to just look
at the file creation time on a gzip file and say "oh, that's yesterday's
tcpdump file and that's the one I want to examine." File names like
"snort-0504 () 0512 log" aren't making my life any easier, because I don't
*care* when the file was created. I want to know when the logging in a
given file *ended*, which my way does for me.

um..

Given my method:

[toot@sparky /storage/snort/old_snorts/051002]# ls -la
total 444
drwxr-xr-x    2 jsage    jsage        4096 May 11 06:13 .
drwxr-xr-x  356 jsage    jsage        8192 May  2 07:15 ..
-rw----r-x    1 jsage    jsage        2848 May 10 12:52 alert184.full-0510 () 0714 log
-rw----r-x    1 jsage    jsage        2668 May 11 01:02 alert184.full-0510 () 1927 log
-rw----r-x    1 jsage    jsage        1712 May 10 12:52 p0f.log-0510 () 0714 log
-rw----r-x    1 jsage    jsage        1572 May 11 01:02 p0f.log-0510 () 1927 log
-rw----r-x    1 jsage    jsage      263441 May 10 15:15 snort-0510 () 0714 log
-rw----r-x    1 jsage    jsage      151214 May 11 03:25 snort-0510 () 1927 log

Packets in *-0510 () 0717 log include all those up to those received in
*-0510 () 1927 log

Actually, I've found this method to work rather well.

There's a faint awkwardness (I suppose..) when one is looking for a
packet that came in overnight, but even I've become able to figure out
which directory/file it's going to be in.

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?