Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-users digest, Vol 1 #1861 - 13 msgs

From: Glenn Larsson <ichinin () swipnet se>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 01:34:43 +0200

If you're considering something released under GPL as 'free stuff', I'd
suggest you go back and re-read the GPL.  As it's stated, it's 'free speech'
and not 'free beer'.  Basically, unless I've misunderstood things from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html and other pages, it works like this:
If you modify and or change the code in any way, that's cool--as long as that
code stays "in-house".  If that ever goes to the public, or is 'sold' you are
required to 'give your changes back to the community'.  Now there are many
other nuances to the license, but these cover the points I'm trying to make.

Yes - I know, that's what and why i just asked; The reason i asked was
that
the GPL was there in the first place, and yes; the Beer/Speech thing was
the
reason why i asked - Noone, nowhere have ever mentioned a price for
(vanilla)
snort.

I have NO intention to change any code, nor do i have any aspiration to
_sell_ the code/binaries as is, i'll install snort on a box (NT or
linux) and
sell that box (along with any OS license) and just charge for the
service of
monitoring snort boxes.

(IF i change or develop some stuff, i'll make that available for free
(like
posting to the Sourceforge lists) thereby giving back to the community,
however, i will NOT monitor for free ;o)

So now - if you all three are on the list:

Martin, Michael and Chris:

Is there a (Runtime) license that i have to pay for to use snort in the
way
i've just described and if so - how much do i have to pay?

(I've also contacted the sales team @ sourcefire 2 weeks ago, but i've
 recieved no response.)

Thanks,
Glenn