Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Performance Issues

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:19:26 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Abe L. Getchell wrote:

Good evening!

*sigh*  All these damned Yankee's thinking it's evening, when it's "night".

;-)

Snort runs the best on Linux, Red Hat Linux 7.2 specifically.  Everyone
here will agree with this, especially Erek Adams. ;-)  No, I'm kidding!
I'm kidding!

*cough*cough*cough*   Do I read my name being taken in vain?  Jeesh, those
Kentucky folks win one basketball game and they think they are special.
*ducks and runs*

;-)

We've discussed this _many_ times on the list, and the best thing to do is
probably search through the Snort-Users list archives located at:

http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/4890/0/

Yeppers, Abe continues to try to beat me into the Linux submission mold, and I
just won't let him!  :)  Seriously...  To sum up a _LONG_ thread, run what you
know.  If that's NetBSD on a ColecoVision, then fine!  Just as long as you
know the OS and underlying hardware, you should be golden!

Also, for general IDS performance information, a good place to check is
the SecurityFocus Focus-IDS list archives at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/96

Very good resource!  Bookmark it!  I'd suggest having a read on the following:

http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/perf.txt

And the full version at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&m=100208652925991&w=2

Those are two pointer to an email that Marty sent out, which IMHO really
explains WTF you need for a serious 'snort box'.  I would suggest reading
one/both of thsoe and then following those suggestions.

I'll say this:  It doesn't hurt to take the authors advice on a 'how-to'
issue!  :)

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams