Snort mailing list archives

Re: detection and preprocessor plugins

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:01:31 -0500

On 1/28/02 3:24 PM, "Steve Halligan" <agent33 () geeksquad com> wrote:

I wan't to write a plugin to detect the presence of something in the data
portian of a packet.
This "something" is too complex and random for a signature, so it needs to
be done via a plugin.

However, my detection could be completely thwarted be simply fragging the
packet.  My questions are:

1)  Should this be a detection plugin or a preprocessor?

It should be a detection plugin, the frag2 preprocessor will take care of
the heavy lifting of defragging packets and presenting them to you in their
"correct" format.

2)  Is there anyplace that I would have access to the packet that has been
reassembled by the defrag prprocessor?

Yes, the frag2 preprocessor hands the defragmented packet to the detection
engine in real-time once all the pieces have arrived.

3)  If one have multiple preprocessors, what determines the order they run
in?  Can the defrag run first, then others, allowing them to see the packet
in its defragged form?

The order is determined by the way that they're loaded in the snort.conf
file.  The default order has spp_frag2 loaded first.

4)  spp_bo (the back orifice preprocessor) is a preprocessor.  If #3 above
is not possible, can it be thwarted by running the packets through a
fragrouter?

Yes, but most people scanning for BO these days are yahoos... :)

     -Marty

--
Martin Roesch - Founder/CEO Sourcefire Inc. - (410) 552-6999
roesch () sourcefire com - http://www.sourcefire.com