Snort mailing list archives

Re: Disabling rules without touching the originals

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:09:33 -0500

According to Marcus Spading:
* Andreas Östling <andreaso () it su se> [020103 07:36]:
Is commenting out a rule or changing the vars in a rule so it doesnt match
anymore really the only way to archive this? How do you guys update and
organize your rulesets then?
I don't know if its going to help you, but I wrote a little script
(http://nitzer.dhs.org/oinkmaster/) to help me updating to the latest
rules and disable the unwanted ones (by #commenting in the actual rules
files). You could always give it a try if you want.

Thanks. I will have at look at it. Maybe it does what I want, but
commenting out rules I do not want isn't the way I wanted to go.

Why?  If you want to disable the signature, then commenting it out
will speed up snort and it will make sure that other signatures that
come after the signature you disable will still fire.

--
Yeah, well, uh, just keep your Power Gloves off her, pal, huh?