Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS & HTTPS

From: Jason Costomiris <jcostom () jasons org>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:53:43 -0500

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 10:30:59AM -0500, Ryan Johnson wrote:
:     Hi everyone,
:
:            Do any open source tools exist to terminate an ssl connection
: and once the traffic has been decrypted, pass it back to a regular
: webserver? It looks like stunnel might be able to to do this. I searched
: google groups and someone suggested the same idea, but I have never heard
: of it being implemented. Of course you can probably guess my reasoning
: for wanting to do this, so I can use an ids to sniff the traffic. I was
: told this appliance has the ability to do this
: http://www.f5networks.com/BIGIP5K/

You could probably do that with stunnel, but you're likely to take quite
a hit performance-wise.  What you're describing is how 99.999% of the SSL
acceleration appliances out there operate.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.