Snort mailing list archives

Re: trap to two destinations

From: "Mark D. Nagel" <mnagel () willingminds com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:19:14 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
To: <rnoonan () interops com>
Cc: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] trap to two destinations

Richard Noonan wrote:
I am attempting to trap to two hosts from a single snort config.  I've
defined the ruletype below:

ruletype dsnmp
{
type alert
output trap_snmp: alert, 7, trap -v 2c -p 163  10.2.1.3 public
output trap_snmp: alert, 7, trap -v 2c -p 162  10.2.1.4 public
output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
}

And what happens is whichever trap_snmp appears 2nd gets the traps.
Whichever one appears first gets nothing.  Syslog seems to work always.
Is
this in fact an unsupported config?

The SnmpTrap output plugin does not currently support multiple instances
of itself.  We may be able to add this functionality in Snort 1.9.

Another alternative might be looper -- see
http://edgesolutions.ca/article.php?sid=7.  Looper can forward traps sent to
it via multiple destinations or transform them to different output formats
as well.  Looks pretty useful, though I have not tried it in production...

Mark