Snort mailing list archives

WG: snort and acid prob when connecting to mysql

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:16:31 +0100

Thank you Dean,

this works now as a workaround (never thought of linking to a socket ;)

Hope to get more info about why this is so, so I can understand.

Bye,
Sandro

Hi!,

today I ran into a weird problem which I can't explain:

Yesterday I updated snort to the actual 1.8.4 version. I'm
running RedHat
7.2, intel, using ACID 0.9.6b21 and mysql 3.23.41. When I
called ACID I got

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

although ACID worked before perfectly. According to the
ACID FAQ I changed
/etc/my.cnf to point to /tmp/mysql.sock and ACID worked
again (although
very strange behaviour I can't explain myself).

Now I started snort and what happened? Well

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

where /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock was the original location.
I'm lost! The
only thing I remember what might have changed on that
machine is I updated
RedHat with the actual RPMS available from RedHat.

How does ACID and/or ADODB (I'm using v1.80) find out which
socket to use?

I have had this problem before with regards to a combination
of programs
compiled from source and others which come in RPM format.
One work-around
solution is to place a symbolic link from /tmp/mysql.sock --->
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock.  This should get you up and
running in the time
being, but I suspect that RPM has a "pre-defined" location
where it expects to
find the mysql.sock.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  -
Dean.Thompson () csse monash edu au |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
            |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
            |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787
(Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077

| Melbourne, Australia       |