Snort mailing list archives

Re: password detection

From: Mike Shaw <mshaw () wwisp com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:38:28 -0600

> I know this request is going to sound really devious, but I assure you my
> intentions are completely white-hat.
>       I'd like to see how many people are using plain text passwords on my
> network.  A few protocols that come to mind are telnet and pop3.
> Obviously,
> I want to teach them the wonder that is ssh.  I was thinking something
> like:

A good tool for this is dsniff. It also comes with several nifty packages like mailsnarf and urlsnarf. In addition to dsniff, mailsnarf is also a great seminar/training 'jawdropper' demo.

I've run dsniff on an OpenBSD box concurrently with Snort. I didn't have any problems.

I can't remember the link for dsniff, but it's out there on the search engines. There are Win32 ports available too.

-Mike