Snort mailing list archives

List Usage

From: Mike Poor <p00r0ne () digitz org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:18:35 -0500

"Your attempt to muddy the waters by stating that my intensions are anything
less than honorable or straightforward with regards to providing Snort as an
open source system and separate from my company's interests is also not
appreciated."

     -Marty

Here here Marty!!  I think that anybody that has every used Snort, developed
plugins for Snort, written rules for Snort, etc can all appreciate what Marty
and the core developers at Snort.org have done for Snort and the community as
a whole (the security community at large, not just snortophiles).

Snort has been the most educational tool that I know of.  Anybody that knows
Marty, or even that has corresponded with Marty understands Marty's
commitment not only to Snort, but to the open source community and to its
ideals.

I think that Snort (the code) has evolved as the Snort community has evolved.
 I understand that Silicone Defense and Sourcefire both have their businesses
to run, but we have our Networks to run and protect.  We all have snort
questions and issues that need to be resolved and worked out, and we can do
this as a community, here on this list.  Snort is not only a fantastic IDS++
but its also a lot of fun, and the community reflects that.

If people need commercial support for Snort, there are multiple options and
they can explore them elsewhere.  If they want free, community based help,
this is where they can voice their needs and we as a community can help (that
includes all members of this community).  There is certainly no need for any
company to troll this list for customers.

my $0.02

Mike Poor