Snort mailing list archives

Re: Need to log FULL packets

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:27:38 -0500

True, tagging may be useful to grab all of the follow-on packets from the same host. Heck, if he can figure out that the unusual UDP packets are always coming from the same machine he could even use tcpdump (which is probably the better tool if your only interest is capturing all the traffic matching a very simple profile):

tcpdump -x -s 1500 host xx.xx.xx.xx proto udp

and if he can narrow it down to one port:
tcpdump -x -s 1500 host xx.xx.xx.xx proto udp port yy

Also, Junaidi next time try to put your message text above the "Matt Kettler wrote:" bit or leave that line out entirely. This message it makes it look like you are quoting me talking about tagging, which you are not, my quote begins under that :)