Snort mailing list archives

Re: VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

From: James Hoagland <hoagland () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:55:31 -0800

At 10:34 PM -0600 3/7/02, Lance Spitzner wrote:
Most honeypots work on the same concept, a system that has no
production activity.  You deploy a box that has no production
value, any packets going to that box indicate a probe, scan, or
attack.  This helps reduce both false positives and false
negatives.  Exampls of such honeypots include BackOfficer Friendly,
DTK, ManTrap, Specter, and Honeynets.

However, I was just thinking, why bother deploying the box?
Why not create a list of Snort rules that generate an alert
whenever a TCP/SYN packet or UDP packet is sent to an IP
address that has no system?  This could incidate a probe,
scan or attack, the same principles of a honeypot, but
without deploying an actual system.

Of course this does not give you the Data Capture capabilites
of a honeypot, as there is no system for the attacker to
interact with.  However, this could be used to help detect
scanning or probing activity.

Thoughts?

Hello Lance,

This is basically what Spade does. In addition it catches to unused or rarely used ports on valid IPs. Basically how it operates is that it keeps a summary record of packets (by default the dest IP and dest port combo) it has seen. From that it can assign an anomaly score based on the unusualness of a new packet. For more details, you might be interested in reading our "Practical Automated Detection of Stealthy Portscans" paper on Silicon Defense's web site:

  http://www.silicondefense.com/research/pubs.htm

Stuart wrote a pretty good section (IMHO) in this about stealthy portscans, scan footprints, etc. You can also read how we got Spade to be as fast as it is. (Running Snort Spade-only on our local office's server processed a file of 1.25 million SYN packets in a little over a minute. YMMV of course.)

Best regards,

  Jim

--
|*      Jim Hoagland, Associate Researcher, Silicon Defense      *|
|*            --- Silicon Defense: IDS Solutions ---             *|