Snort mailing list archives

Re: general custom rules questions

From: Jim Forster <jforster () rapidnet com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:14:35 -0700

---==On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:31:58 -0500, Basil Saragoza wrote==---
1. If I want to create my own rules then should I place it in the
local.rules file or create my own file? (And then use snort -o)
Yes, that's why I added them. - just easier when you update your ruleset to know they won't be overwritten.
(I have now changed it to mylocal.rules for my systems, so installing a new set won't touch my files with the 'default'
empty one)

2. As to the flexresp rules...I understand it is quite dangerous and it can
cause more harm than good....is there any tutorial or user archive for
custom written rules?
Flex drops the request, not necessarily the connection.
I make a request for "welcome.html" ok
I make a request for "cmd.exe" a TCP RST is sent
I make a request for "welcome2.html" ok
No firewall rules are changed/added and no black holing of the attacker occurs.

3. Let's say I created a flexresp rule for some annoying hostile
connection,
O.K., now it's dropped. Then hacker figures out what is going on and
spoofs
his address to novell.com address, then I can't block it cause I
You block by the packet content.  This would just mean he couldn't pretend to be from novell and attack you either.  :)

I've had mixed luck with flexresp, from what you've said here, Hogwash may actually be what you're looking for.
Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Jim Forster, jforster () rapidnet com on 02/28/2002
Network Administrator
RapidNet, A Golden West Company