Snort mailing list archives

Re: one way ethernet cable performance

From: Mike Shaw <mshaw () wwisp com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:41:33 -0600

Internal network -> Firewall -> *Hub -> Router -> Internet

*one way cable location

This particular hub will only have 3 or 4 network connections at any given time: the firewall, the router, the snort sensor port, and a different sniff-type analyzer. I guess my perception is that if the one way cable is rebroadcasting all the packets back into the hub, does that double the traffic and/or greatly magnify any network troubles on that hub?

-Mike

At 04:34 PM 2/27/2002 -0600, Chris Green wrote:
Mike Shaw <mshaw () wwisp com> writes:

> I'm about to work up a one-way cable (for use in a hub), but I'm a bit
> concerned about the effect it will have on the network.
>
> Since the traffic is broadcast back out into the hub, does that create
> performance issues on that collision domain?  This will be at a rather
> critical point on a network and I can't afford to introduce ethernet
> oddities.

Please diagram your situation; I don't think we can answer it without
knowing where your hub will be and where the 1 way cable will be.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
You now have 14 minutes to reach minimum safe distance.