Snort mailing list archives

pretty general question

From: Heyde Fritjof <fritjof.heyde () ivm-solve-it com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:46:19 +0100

Hi there,

I have a little question concerning Code Red and cmd.exe attacks.

This Weekend I was playing a little online game, and for some reasons the
program always crashed.
I couldnt get it to work stable. And then I realized, that the times the
program crashed was pretty much the same times, when I got a cmd.exe Attack
from people having installed Win2000 with default webserver, and got
themself Code Red or something.

Well, I dont really know for sure if that really was the problem, but the
times as I said were more than just a flue.
Anyways, that IP bombarded me for 4 Hours, and I was geting pretty enoyed
about it.

No big deal, he probably didn't even know he had Code Red, and that he knows
he had a webserver installed I doudt too.
Well, I was thinking about how I could inform him that he should secure his
mashine better. And get ZoneAlarm or something.
And that is the problem: I mean I could have just used the same attacks on
him as he did on me, and get access. That way I meight be able to talk to
him.
If that really would work I dont know. I'm not a hacker.
But just trying would be no better than a hacker.

Ok, I could inform the ISP but that normally doesn't do anything.

So what to do? Just forget about it?
Or would it be considered ok to break into the Computer and tell him the
problem.

What do you think?

greets
Bydlo

Fritjof Heyde
IVM - Solve - It
Tel.: +49 89 31813-260
Fax: +49 89-3165825
Telefon mob.     : (0179) 2176262
Email: mailto:Fritjof.Heyde () ivm-solve-it com