Snort mailing list archives

Multiple instances of sig_name in signature file

From: Fraser Hugh <hugh_fraser () dofasco ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:26:53 -0500

I've installed multiple sensors writing to a common data analysis system
using Postgresql as the backend database. Two of the sensors cover the
inside and outside of a firewall. Regularly, the snort processes on the
sensors die, complaining of  multiple instances of a sig_name value in the
signature table, and sure enough they're there. I've traced it down to a
sequence of login in spo_database.c that checks for the existence of a
signature, then creates it if it doesn't exist. Since my sensors often see
the same events (ie. if a request is made from an internal browser with a
questionable URL, both the inside and outside probe see it within
milliseconds of each other). If this is the first occurence of the
signature, chances are both sensors will add it to the signature table. It
seems to me that signature perhaps should be a unique key in the table, and
the code modified to try an insert first and a retrieve if that fails.